More than just a camp...

Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Man-to-Man with Lynn English RB Melvin Tavares

      A blur.  That's the best way to describe Lynn English running back Melvin Tavares.  When healthy,  Tavares has been able to keep defenses from keying on fellow standouts Tyllor McDonald and Travonne Berry-Rodgers.  If those three have it clicking, there aren't too many teams that can keep up with the Bulldogs.  We got a chance to dig a little deeper inside the head of this supremely talented back.  What's the biggest thing you come away with after talking to Melvin?  He is as hungry as they come.

  • You have your choice to win a game one of two ways: picking off a pass or rushing for a touchdown.  Which do you choose?
    •  Pick off a pass.  To me, it's just more exciting, and you don't see that all the time.
  • Your coach comes to you and says he feels someone else can do a better job at your position.  He says you can either switch positions, or compete for your spot.  What would you do?
    •  Compete for my spot.  I'm competing.  I'm a competitive guy.  I cant just give up my spot like that.
  • Kim, Khloe, or Kourtney Kardashian?
    •  Kim.  Definitely Kim. 
  • What teammate do you admire most and why?
    •  I don't know if I can pick one.  I love all my teammates.  Travonne sticks out a little bit more than others.  He always makes us laugh.  We could be losing and he knows how to keep us loose.  He's different from everyone else. 
  • What person in your life is your biggest inspiration?
    •  My older brother Gustavo Tavares.  He is kind of like my father since my dad wasn't around.  Without him I don't think I'd be here right now.  He put me in football and is my role model.  I learned everything from him.
  • What is the first thing you realize when you see tape of Gloucester?
    •  The tempo.  Everything is fast.  They don't slack off, they don't make mistakes.  They're big, they're fast, and they play smart.
  • What is your least favorite NFL team?
    •  The Colts.  Something about them I don't like.  I think they're perfect, and I just don't like perfect things.  And Peyton Manning gets on my nerves.
  • What game left on your schedule do you have circled?
    •  Gloucester to be honest.  We've never beaten them since I've been here.  Freshman year was the closest, and I really want to beat them.  Classical as well.  That's the biggest rival, and a team we need to beat.  Salem means a lot to me too because I came from Salem and know most of the guys.  I want to show them who is the best.
  • What's your favorite pre-game meal?
    •  Honestly, we eat pizza, haha.  It doesn't drop well, but I have to be honest.
  • What is one aspect of your game you'd most like to improve?
    •  Vision.  I can improve my vision.  Ive been watching myself on film and seeing some spots where I can maybe make a move here or there, or make some other things happen.  I definitely want to improve my vision. 
  • Name one place you'd most like to visit.
    •  California.  My brother is out there right now and he says he loves it.  When he says he loves something, I'm going to have to go with it.  Everyone seems to love it out there.
  • Why should a college coach recruit you?
    •  I have a lot to give.  I work hard, I learn from my mistakes, and I can make a difference.  I come from a rough place, and I think I'm a great person.  I know I'm good, but I can be better and will do what it takes to get there.  I have a lot to offer, and I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment